Five notable foodie experiences of recent times, in order of appearance:
1. ‘Come Dine With Me.’ We have our own version of this reality TV experience happening on a regular basis with four friends, with each round having a different theme. The current theme is Our Countries of Origin and a few weeks ago, we were treated to a wonderful English meal at the home of two of our friends. It’s our turn this weekend and we are determined to try to reach the lofty standard set by their meal!
2. BBC Good Food Show. We were lucky enough to win tickets to this foodie extravaganza at Kensington Olympia and spent the day sampling delicacies and picking up as many freebies as possible. The highlight, however, was the fact that we got to meet Tom Kerridge! We’ve long been fans of his no-nonsense-yet-still-exquisite style of cooking, and a meal at his two-Michelin-starred pub The Hand & Flowers is on our bucket list, so it was a real fangirl/boy moment for us.
3. Fortnum & Mason Christmas hamper. We were very fortunate to win another competition, this time making us the recipients of a fabulous hamper from Fortnum & Mason, filled with lots of Christmassy goodies. It actually arrived on 25th November, so it really was like Christmas a month early! We haven’t eaten any of it yet, but we are very excited about it.
4. Finale of Masterchef Australia 2016. It’s always tricky to watch this show in England, as we’re a few months behind and avoiding spoilers is nearly impossible, but we managed it this year, which meant that the nail-biting finish between Elena and Matt really was nail-biting. A particular proud moment was the fact that both of the finalists hailed from the Sunshine Coast, where Miranda is from!
5. Moldovan sarmale. We struggled to find a Moldovan dish that was actually Moldovan, because just about every ‘traditional’ recipe we found seemed to be of Romanian origin. Eventually we came across a recipe for stuffed cabbage leaves on AllRecipes – a website we tend to avoid because it can be so generic and unregulated, but times were starting to get desperate. Stuffed cabbage leaves seem to be a staple of many Eastern European countries, but this recipe claimed to be Moldovan, and we haven’t actually made any stuffed cabbage leaves yet despite them being so prolific, so we thought it was about time. Continue reading